Friday, September 1, 2017

Springtime tulips - Hive 6 Tutorial

Hi, I'm Debbie and I'm so excited to be Queen for a day. No crown or scepter needed. 

So I know it is fall; but I love tulips especially when  the winter drags on. I grew up further south of Wisconsin, so here is something to make you think of fresh, warm spring.  ( Nothing like the weather we now have.)


Finished block:



Here are the fabric pulls for the flowers:  yellows, pinks, oranges, reds, and purples.
Tone on tone fabrics please, , no secondary colors or batiks.





I made 2 yellow tulips each a different yellow, one orange, and one pink.
Choose what colors you think would look nice.

Sizes to cut for Flowers
4 yellow centers:  1 1/2 inch squares    plus 2 yellow 2  1/2 inch squares   (Center of tulip)

For each flower you will need:  1    3 inch square and 1    2 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch square and 1 2 1/2 inch square.You will need 4 of each set to make the 4 tulips.




Here are the pulls/ picks for the background ( light blue) and greens.
You need a light and a medium green.  If you don't like what you have try the back side.

Blue Background cuts:  (I used 2 different blues )

4      1 1/2 inch squares
4      1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch rectangles.
12     2 1/2 squares
4      3 inch squares
2      1 1/2 inch by 12 1/2 inch strip
2       1 1/2 by 14 1/2 inch strips

Greens:
  light green 4   2 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch rectangle
  dark green 4  2 1/2 inch by 6 1/2 inch rectangle  I used 2 different greens, though it is not necessary.


Sewing:
Sew yellow small  square to blue small square; then sew the blue rectangle to those to squares.
The center should look like this.
Next make half square triangles from the 3 inch squares blue with a tulip color:
I used this tool to draw the center line for cutting and then the sewing line.


Sew on the 2 lines, and then cut on the center making 2 half square triangles.  ( Or any other triangle method you would prefer.)
 Then I used a ruler to trim to the exact size...2 1/2 in. square

For the next part of the tulip, I I first marked a center line and then sewed a blue triangle to a colored rectangle.  Notice the angle to make the tulip.  Sew a a half inch away  ( I just adjusted my needle to the widest position.)  Make sure it presses to a good corner.  Cut  the extra/waste triangle off.


Now assemble the centers to the small tulip triangle and then those 2 pieces to the tulip rectangle.


You should now have this:.

  Again, your color choices for tulips.  It will be a garden full of beauties.
 Size: each tulip is 6 and 1/2 inches square.

Green leaves next:  Now I show this picture because here is what NOT to do.
The light green leaf should face the other direction.
Mark center diagonal line of blue square.  Lay on top of green leaves. Sew.  Sew half inch away.

Press to create pointed leaf, and cut the extra triangle as you did before.

    Small green leaf  point is in the WRONG direction.

Add first the small green leaf to the left and then the dark tall one to the right of the flower.




Here they are assembled and placed in the correct position. I then added the extra squares to the center, marked and then sewed on the line. I removed the orange one so you could see what was underneath. I put the yellow squares on the yellow tulips but put the orange on the opposite flower. whatever you make is all good. 

When putting the flowers next to each other, match the diagonal seams.  ( I pinned them.)
In the second photo, you can see how I turned the top one down to match them. Tricky little things.





And here is the 4 assembled flowers with the design in the center.


Add your first 2  12 and 1/2  inch borders to opposite sides of the quilt square.  Then add the longer ones to the last 2 sides. Final size 14 and 1/2 square.

Ta Da!  It is finished. 



 P.S.  If you don't want to keep your cut off triangles, I would LOVE to add them to my border: 
Here is what I am thinking:  
It is up to you! 

Hope the springy colors inspire you!  I can't wait to put it into a garden quilt. 

2 comments:

Pam Chamberlin said...

Sweet block!

Janice Holton said...

Hi Debbie, are you preferring two yellows and then any two of the other colors you mentioned? Or all four can be any color?