Saturday, April 1, 2017

Hive 5 April Tutorial

I'm so excited to be Queen for Hive 5 during the month of April  My name is Jennifer and I live in Pahrump, Nevada which is about 60 miles northwest of Las Vegas. 

First things first, two truths and a lie.  Truth one is that I do live full-time in a 38 foot 5th wheel recreational vehicle with my husband, Miles, and our dog, Lola. Can you say tiny home?  We also have a 27 foot 5th wheel that we travel in.  Truth two is that I did spend the night in a jail in Georgia.  My husband and I hitchhiked from California to Florida and while in a small Georgia town we were asked if we wanted to spend the night in jail.  Not as prisoners, but as guests.  This was back in the early 70's and the police were given money for the number of people staying in the jail.  They even bought our dinner at a nice restaurant.  Now for the lie.  Although I took ballet way back when I was very young and very skinny, I was never a professional.

The block I have chosen is called the Grayscale Quilt block and created by Allison over at Cluck Cluck Sew.  I love this block and all the quilt designs you can create using it.  Of course, Allison gave me permission to use it as my bee block.  Click HERE for her tutorial.

Below is a picture of my fabric pull.  Feel free to us any light grays all the way to blacks, but do use the same color fabric for the block as well as the same white used with the gray or black fabric that you choose.  You can use prints, but please make sure they read gray or black.  As for the white fabric, feel free to use tone on tone as well as solid white.  You can  make either Block A or Block B.


Here are a few pictures I took while making one of my blocks.

Step one

Step two

Then three

Four

Step five (no six or seven shown)

Finished with step eight

Here are some ways that you can arrange the blocks.  I hope you enjoy making the block and will make some for yourself too.




I belong to the Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild and one of the members, Melanie Thorton, made this quilt using the block patterns.




3 comments:

Pam Chamberlin said...

I'm not in your Hive, but I have a black fabric that I think would be great for this--Carolyn Friedlander's "Triangles" in black. So I'll be crashing this one.

Jennifer said...

WooHoo, crash on!!

Unknown said...

This looks nice and easy! And I think I may have matching fabrics ;)