Friday, January 29, 2016

Hive 2 January Block

Talk about leaving this to the last minute. I started the block the day after we got the tutorial and here I am, finishing it off right before the deadline. I've learned something, though....I am not a scrap quilter. I've never ocllected any random scraps- all the leftovers from quilts and cutting down FQs have always been trimmed into ready-to-use precuts, the smallest 1.5" square. I ended up trimming all sorts of cuts down to make these and my hat is off to anyone who can do this kind of block on the regular. You have far more patience than I do. Forgive the photo, I had to take it before I lost the light and will properly press before it goes in the mail.


1. Name:  Miranda

2. Where you live: Taos, New Mexico

3. Tell us about your family: I live on a family property. My father and 4 of his 5 siblings as well as his parents are spread out over 40-50 acres of land sandwiched between one of the largest local rivers and a massive tract of reservation land. Several of my grandfather’s siblings (he has 6) live across or down the river, most of them on large pieces of farmland, and we’re related to roughly 70% of the locals in our area. I live with my parents for the time being, as it’s far too expensive to rent as a single here. I’m a military brat, but we settled when my Dad retired in 2000. 

4. Tell us about your pets: Personally I have 2 budgies name Angelbuns and Zephyr. Angel has never tried quilting with me but I nearly sewed Zephyr into a plush a couple years ago. We have a very large rabbit in the garage- her name is Spackle- and her job is to keep the cat in line. Jet is a bit on the dim side for a cat but she’s a sweetheart. We have a spoiled pickpocket horse whose name is Last Poco Lynx on paper but who we call Lizzie, and the family flock of sheep sometimes appears in our yard. There’s also a heron named Karen who can usually be found on a large rock in the rover below our kitchen.

5. How long have you been quilting? I’ve been quilting for 2.5 years. I was in a car accident in 2013 that cost me my job (sprained wrist = no scooping ice cream for a living) and was stuck at home with no job and no car for several months. Bored, I took to the craft room and Mom’s sewing machine in the hopes that a project larger than a teddy bear would occupy me. It did. And it still does.

6. What crafts do you do other than quilting? Waaaaaayyyy too many. I make stuffed toys, I crochet, I bead and make jewelry, I EPP, I make candy and enrobed truffles, I bake and decorate cakes, and I have an army of houseplants that’s over 50 strong.

7. Fabric line you want to buy next: I’m not big on buying fabric by designers specifically, but I recently got my hands on some of Robert Kaufman’s Effervescence and I need every color it comes in now. 

8. Preferred quilting method (FMQ, long arm, hand, etc.): Hard to say. I’ve FMQed a couple of baby quilts, but nothing pretty or fancy. I tie a lot of mine, as I like the fluffy quality that lends. I’m going to have several tops long-armed this year by a guild-mate and can’t wait to compare the feel. 

9. Where we can find you on social media: Tumblr (Not always SFW, fandom related) Instagram

10. Favorite book: It’s not really possible to pick JUST one. The Hobbit is always near the top of the list. I’m also incredibly fond of Blood Bones and Butter, How NOT to Travel the World, Cloud Atlas and the entire Naruto series. I read a ton of comics, manga and food/travel writing. 


11. Favorite show to binge watch: Supernatural, Bleach and Dr. Who. Dad and I also like to rematch Star Trek Voyager every couple of years.

No comments: