Thursday, October 1, 2015

October Hive 5 Block Tutorial

Hello and Happy October from Cyndi.  I was  lucky to get to  join the Stash Bee just a few months ago (June).  I live in Columbia, Tennessee which is just south of Nashville.  I am married to a great guy and mother of the best son.  It was a little stressful in September knowing I had to come up with what block I was going to choose and write this tutorial.  But, when I came across this block in another Hive in September I knew that this was it.  I loved the secondary pattern it makes when assembled and felt it was pretty easy and would do well when putting together blocks from everyone.  Can't wait to see a whole quilt made.  I chose the Scrappy Crossroads Block. There is an excellent tutorial by Lori Holt specifically on this in her blog that you can refer to, http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-scrappy-cross-roads-block-tutorial.html.



This block takes 48--2 1/2" squares and 8-- 4 1/2" squares.
I chose six colors for the 2 1/2" squares--purple, grey, pink, aqua, yellow and orange.
I chose a low volume in white and grey and white and black for the 4 1/2" squares.




I first used 16 of the 2 1/2"sq to put 2 on two corners of the 4 1/2"sq and flip.


I then used the remaining squares to make first 16 pairs and then from those I made 8 four patches.
Then it was time to assemble the block. The finished block should be 16 1/2". This is the second block I have completed.



I also wanted to include a picture of a finished quilt that I found on the internet so that you could see a finish version.




I almost struggled more with what question to ask than the block.  I didn't want to ask one that you may have already answered since I missed the first 5 months. So last night I came up with an easy one... Who is going to join the Stash Bee for 2016?  I have enjoyed the last 4 months and I am going to try to and have talked about 3-4 of my friends in to signing up when the new registration begins. Hope we all get accepted.

I hope this is clear and if anyone has any questions feel free to email me.
Cyndi
thedancingbobbin@gmail.com
















No comments: