Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Hive 7 June Block

Hi!  This is Rozsamaria in Hive 7!

This month Deana was our Queen Bee and she requested Flowering Snowball blocks in a wide variety of bright colors, with low volume background prints and black for the centers.  She pointed us to this tutorial, which I followed to the letter.  I'd done curved piecing for my Drunkard's Path quilt, so I wasn't too nervous, but I found that the hardest part was picking my prints and the block itself came together really quickly.

I'm sorry for the terrible picture - I'm cutting it a little close with this one, so I frantically took a picture of the block on my couch before I left for work yesterday.

Deana's question for us was "who got you hooked on quilting?"  I don't have the traditional answer for this - I didn't learn to quilt from anyone.  One of my friends from college died in a car accident a month to the day after our graduation.  It was a really difficult time for me.  I had trouble sleeping and I would look for projects for myself.  One day I decided that I should make her mother a quilt.  My grandmother had taught me to sew, but no one in the family had ever quilted.  I don't know where the idea came from, but make a quilt I did.  I had no idea what I was doing, but I enjoyed it.  Then I had friends get married and I made them a quilt, and a friend had a baby and I made her a quilt, and before I knew it I was a quilter.

No comments: