Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Hive 7 April Block - Scrap jar Stars

Hello everyone! My name is Shari Butler, from Hive 7! This is my second year in the Stash Bee and I'm excited to do it again this year. I love the spring, because it reminds me of new beginnings! Since April is my birthday month it's the perfect month for me to host the bee block! Who doesn't love spring and the fresh air?!?

I reside in Layton, UT with my Mr. Doohikey Dan! We have two dogs, Reese's (a yorkie) and Benji (a cocker spaniel). I love the support of my husband, especially last year when we built my studio in our home. Isn't he the best!!!
Me and my Mr. Doohikey!
 Glimpse into my Studio
Part of my fabric stash, and my designs on mini bolts.
I'm also a fabric/surface designer. I currently license my designs under Doohikey Designs and my fabric iines are with Riley Blake Designs. I love to create and see what other people make with my fabric. Handmade gifts and quilts are so inspiring to me and designing fabric was the answer to providing a way for others to experiment with their creativity! It's all about inspiring each other right???

Okay, enough of my ramblings, let's move onto the block. I chose to share my friend's tutorial, Gigi's Thimble from the blog A little Bit Biased Scrap Jar Stars tutorial!
This is the image from her blog, aren't they adorable!
The reason I chose this block, because it's very fun and scrappy. Plus... it's easy and we are all about bustling through our scraps correct? The block is 12.5" x 12.5" unfinished and 12" x 12" finished. I love the size of it and I thought it would be perfect for a summery-happy quilt!

Here are the two blocks I made following the tutorial to a tee:
I love the scrappiness of this block the colors play so well and little scraps work perfect in this block.
I love the pops of color in this one as well. 
You can see all my star points are different fabrics. So I opted for the the variety, because I was making two blocks to test. I kept the star points the same, but how I mixed them with the middle sixteen patch it plays well together. So the more scrappy the block the better it becomes. So instead of doing 4 HST you will do 8 HST for the more scrappy version. Does that make sense?

The colors I prefer in the block are: aqua, navy, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, gray and purples. Think spring/summer happy colors. Or channel your inner Camille Roskelley colors of the scrappy version quilts she has done. Have you seen her farmer wive's blocks? Amazing!

For the background please use White. Like the moda, kona white or Riley Blake Designs clean white. That way the happy colors will just pop so nicely!

So the requirements other than from following the tutorial to a tee:
  • White background: Moda white, Kona white or Riley Blake Designs clean white
  • The colors I prefer in the block are: aqua, navy, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, gray and purples. Think spring/summer happy colors!
  • Scrappy as possible! So it will require more Half Square Triangles, but it makes it so fun!
I can't wait to see all of your creativity come through and to be able to see your scrappiness come alive! I know this will be a quilt that will be cherished forever and I'm quite excited to see it evolve. 

Here's your question:

Where would your dream vacation be and why?

Mine is to travel Europe and definitely need to stop in Paris and Ireland. I want to travel with my husband there someday to explore my ancestry and to just visit the magical places you see on TV. When you have never been somewhere you can only imagine what it's like and I love to experience new things. Maybe, because I'm the youngest of four....makes my curiosity peak when I think of Europe. That adventure awaits me someday.

If you have questions feel free to comment and I will try to reply as quickly as possible.

XOXO!

2 comments:

Mary Huey said...

Looking forward to creating some sunny blocks for you!

DoohikeyDesign said...

Can't wait to see! I think it will be super fun! 😘