Saturday, April 18, 2015

Hive 6 Polaroid Block

Nicole requested a block of  Polaroid shots.  She even made her own design for a paper pieced block!  Wow!

I had a bit of trouble with this one - yes, it's been a while since I've paper pieced, and when I went to trim seam allowances, I somehow ended up trimming the piece I was adding as well!  D'oh!  The tip I came up with from this trouble was to check twice that you've got that piece folded back the right way THEN trim!  But really the BIG issue was what to take a picture of?  I have lots of geometric fabric, and very few novelty prints.  I mean VERY few (as in zero).  Fortunately, I had ordered a layer cake of Cotton+Steel's Hatbox line, and there were some cute tigers!  Then I found a cute owl from fabric I used in my mom's Happy Quilt.  I had to round out the photos with architecture though - a house and a street map of NYC.


This was one of my first attempts to "take a picture", and my bee friends thought it looked too much like celery!  It is a print from Tina Given's Opal Owl line, and they're trees.  Celery-looking trees, but trees.  I'll send it on to Nicole anyway; maybe she likes celery!


Nicole asked us what the best thing we ever made was, and I'm not sure about the answer to that.  I think I'm going with the homemade lemon meringue pie I made about two years ago for Memorial Day.  It was close to perfect, and I had a good time making and eating it!

1 comment:

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

these are brilliant, I think I may be stealing this idea when it comes my turn in hive 2