Wednesday, May 29, 2013

HIVE 4 JUNE BLOCK

June block for Hive 4 Block is the Great Granny Block, from the wonderful Lori Holt over at the Bee in My Bonnet blog!
It is a larger version of the granny block from Jolene at Blue Elephant Stitches.



It is an easy block to put together. 

 It is a 12.5 inch block and I would love to have TWO from each of you if possible! It is a perfect block to use up jellyrolls and other precuts, as the squares are all 2.5 inches!  (all except the background rectangles of Kona Butter)

There is a wonderful tutorial for it at Lori Holt’s blog-Bee in My Bonnet.

 I would like the background to be Kona Butter, as previously mentioned. For the palette, I have chosen a picture below for you to pick your fabric from.  I love these colors, especially the oranges and corals.  If you choose to use the warm plum please use it sparingly as I would like it to be an accent rather than a focal color!
 Also ignore the light-lights in the the palette-those will be the Kona Butter!
I love bright colors and rich, saturated colors, tone on tones, polka dots florals, plaids, text fabrics, checks, stripes, mottled fabrics, a few solids mixed in-they are all good!  I do not really like Civil War or 30’s fabrics.  Otherwise anything goes!
 
 





 
This is the palette  that I would  like you to use.  

I have also picked some fabrics from my stash that I will use to make more blocks.








For one 12.5 inch block you will need:
 
From  KONA BUTTER  

Cut twelve - 2 ½  x 3 ½ ‘’  rectangles for row ends
 AND  
 four - 2 ½  x 5 “rectangles for the corners   


 for the subsequent rounds:


BABY-Center square cut one -2 ½ “square



MAMA-first round cut four -2 ½ “squares of a 2nd color



GRANNY -second round   cut eight - 2 ½ “squares of a 3rd color 



GREAT GRANNY -third round cut twelve - 2 ½ “squares of a 4rth color      



Assemble the block as directed and add the Kona Butter rectangles as directed in the tutorial but DO NOT TRIM!!!     I will do this when I have them all.

I have not yet made this version but have made many of the 9 inch version.
  I promise I  will post my sample blocks on the weekend as I am just bombarded with issues at home and  work at this moment! :{
              

 


3 comments:

Paskiaq said...

Nice block and colour palette choice! :) Thanks for the excuse to go to Sew Sisters soon...love that place!

roccagal said...

do we really need an excuse!

Alison V. said...

I love your color choices!! I can't wait to start on these!